A Must Try Classic German Chocolate Cake Recipe!
A classic delicious cake with layers of chocolate frosting and coconut pecan frosting! But we think that you also have the same question in your mind, that why is it called german chocolate cake? Is it from Germany? Nope, the name is just deceiving as it is named after the mixture of delicious sweet chocolate used to prepare the cake, the german chocolate! The chocolate is named after the person who made the amazing mixture. The chocolate mix is really a sweet one. Most cocoa utilized in the cake is unsweetened. The German chocolate isn't exactly as intense as unsweetened cocoa, and that's why the cake isn't generally as chocolatey as you may think it is. The taste originates from the melted chocolate utilized in the cake, the whipped egg whites, and the buttermilk. Also, no German Chocolate Cake would be finished without the coconut walnut frosting! It's simply heavenly! Sugar, evaporated milk, eggs, and butter are cooked until they thicken and nearly caramelize a bit. With the addition of walnuts and coconut toward the end, the filling helps in creating a heavenly delight. Well, we are going to share it all below in detail so that you can prepare a mouth-watering dessert at home rather than buying a chocolate cake online. Without any further ado, let's get started with the german chocolate cake recipe.
Ingredients for the Chocolate Cake
• 2 cup granulated sugar
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
• 1 ½ tsp baking soda
• 1 ½ tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 cup boiling water
• 2 large eggs
• ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
• ½ cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
Ingredients for the Chocolate Frosting
• ½ cup butter
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
• ⅓ cup evaporated milk
• 3 cups powdered sugar
Ingredients for the Coconut Frosting
• ½ cup light brown sugar
• ½ cup butter
• ½ cup granulated sugar
• 1 cup chopped pecans
• 3 large egg yolks
• ¾ cup evaporated milk
• 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
Firstly, heat the stove or oven to 375 degrees F. Oil two 8 or 9 inches, round baking utensils. You can also cut a round piece of parchment paper or wax for the base of the pan to ensure the cake comes out without any problem.
For the Cake
1. Take a large bowl and add cocoa, sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in it. Now stir it well.
2. In another bowl, take buttermilk, oil, eggs, and Vanilla. Mix it well till the mixture looks even.
3. Now add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix them together until they combine.
4. Stir these in boiling water so that the batter will be thin. Now pour the batter into the utensils prepared above.
5. Now bake the cake for around 25 to 35 minutes. The large pan of 9 inches takes considerably less time. You will know the cake is baked once a toothpick inserted in between comes out clean or with very fewer crumbs.
6. Let the cake cool for about five minutes and then invert the cake into wire racks for it to completely cool.
For the Chocolate Frosting
1. Take a bowl and melt butter in it. Then add cocoa powder and stir properly.
2. Now alternatively add milk and powdered sugar, beating to spreading consistency.
3. Add some additional milk if the frosting is thick. The milk will make it thin. You can also add extra powder until you reach the desired consistency.
4. Now stir in Vanilla.
For the Coconut Frosting
1. In a pan, add butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, evaporated milk, and egg yolks.
2. Now stir the mixture properly and boil it over low, medium heat.
3. Stir the mixture till it starts to thicken.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in coconut, nuts, and Vanilla.
5.Let it settle and cool before layering it on the cake.
Assembling the Cake
1. Keep one of the cake rounds on the plate.
2. Frost a thin layer of chocolate icing over the cake layer, and afterwards spoon half of the coconut icing on top, spreading it into a smooth layer. Leave around ½ inch between the edge of the cake and filling.
3. Stack the second cake round on the top—cover chocolate icing over the whole cake.
4. Now spoon remaining coconut icing on the cake.
So, that's the famous german chocolate cake recipe! Hope you like the recipe. Bake some delicious cakes at your home and enjoy the same with your dear ones. If you are not much into baking, then you can always order cakes online for same-day or midnight cake delivery from a reputed online bakery! Happy eating! Happy baking!