How to Pray on Karwa Chauth
Karwa Chauth is around the corner, and most of the married women have already geared up with its festivities. This year, it falls on October 17, 2019, which is Thursday. For all those who don’t quite know about Karwa Chauth pooja, they must know that on this auspicious day a wife prays for the long life of her husband and to strengthen their marital bond. Indeed, it is considered to be a festival full of dignity and affection.
Every year, Karwa Chauth comes after Sharad Navratri or the Durga Jayanti. And, after this festival, one celebrates Diwali. So, one enjoys the festive vibes before and after this festival. If you have seen Bollywood movies like Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gam, DDLJ or Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, then you quite know about the hype that surrounds this festival.
Though Karwa Chauth tends to fall around September and October, the preparations start way before, these months. Suhagan women with all their enthusiasm, go out shopping for the Karwa Chauth attire and other accessories. They tend to look for some gorgeous, embellished kurtas or sarees to enhance their grace, on the day of Karwa Chauth. A day or two before the occasion, women tend to wear henna on their hands
The procedure to pray on Karwa Chauth or the Karwa Chauth Pooja Vridhi has been mentioned below:
- Before dawn, take a shower, and you are all geared up for fasting the day, ahead.
- Have all the edible items out of your Karwa Chauth sargi, like sweets, fruits, vermicelli, etc.
- On this auspicious day, Lord Krishna and all the members of Lord Shiva family is worshipped.
- Offer garlands of yellow flowers, laddoos, and bananas to please Lord Ganesha.
- Offer bilva(bel Patra) leaves and essential makeup (Shringaar) items of a married woman to Lord Shiva Parvati duo.
- Offer Makhan Mishri and Pedha sweet as an offering to Lord Krishna.
- Light up a mogra or sandalwood incense stick along with some earthen pots lightened up in pure ghee.
- Draw a swastika symbol on the Karwa.
- Pour milk, water and rose water in your Karwa. At night, use a sieve to catch a glimpse of the moon and water it.
- It is said that if married women get ready with all the 16 bridal adornments, helps to beautify a woman from head to toe.
- After getting all dolled up, a woman is said to listen to the story that surrounds the Karwa Chauth festival, along with a bunch of other ladies. The puja thali is circulated or rotated in a clockwise direction.
- After listening to the Karwa Chauth story, make sure to seek the blessings of elders in your family. And wait eagerly for the arrival of the moon.
- The Mantra to chant while praying for husband’s well being:
'नमस्त्यै शिवायै शर्वाण्यै सौभाग्यं संतति शुभा। प्रयच्छ भक्तियुक्तानां नारीणां हरवल्लभे।'
After having kept the fast, all day long, different women have different ways to break it. Usually, women tend to break their fast after seeing the moon first and then, their husbands through the sieve. Then, from their husband’s hands, sip a glass of water. With this, we call it a day and dine out or have a full seven-course meal at home. Husbands also use to offer some karwa chauth gifts to their wife like Banquet of Fresh Flowers, Saree, Fashion Jewellery, ladies handbags etc on this special occasion. While the tradition asks the women to only fast for their husbands, but with changing times and mindset, husbands also tend to keep a fast for their wifeys. Adorable, isn’t it?