How To Make Red Velvet Cake At Home?
Oh, you just devoured a piece of red velvet cake! A slice of moist, spongy cake with slightly acidic flavor topped off with whipped cream cheese frosting. It surely must have been a pleasurable sensation to experience.
From the Victorian Era comes the fancy dessert-- Velvet cake in scarlet color, layered and topped with cream cheese frosting. Traditionally, the red crumby texture obtained from a reaction between ingredients like cocoa powder, buttermilk, and vinegar. Today, food coloring is mostly in use for obtaining the red-crimson color.
From the traditional red velvet cake to fusion red velvet cake, this dessert always delivers yummy contentment to its savor-star. And, because it is in high regard in the world of cakes, we often come across people who desire to learn the skill of baking red velvet cake.
So, for all those passionate cake bakers and lovers, here’s the easy red velvet cake recipe.
Ingredients For Red Velvet Cake:
- 3-4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups of sugar
- ½ cup of corn starch
- ½ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 ½ tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 ½ tablespoon salt
- 3-4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 1 ¼ cups warm water
- ½ vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon distilled vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
Red Velvet Cake Icing Ingredients:
- 2 blocks of softened cheese
- 1 cup softened butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter or oil the cake tins and dust them slightly with cocoa powder. Grease 2 or 3 cake tins, as per your wish.
- In a bowl, mix sugar, flour, cocoa powder, corn starch, baking soda, baking powder, and salt as per the quantity mentioned here. Combine the ingredients well.
- Add to this mixture eggs, buttermilk, warm oil, water, vanilla extract, vinegar, and red food coloring. Blend it to form a smooth consistency. This takes a few minutes.
- Now pour this cake batter into the cake pans already prepared.
- Bake the cake in an oven for 35-40 minutes and do not take the cake out until the toothpick comes out clean (insert a toothpick into the cake to check whether it has baked or not).
- Take out the cake and allow it cool down on the wire racks. Till the time it cools, prepare your cheese frosting.
Cheese Cream Frosting:
- In a utensil whisk butter and cream cheese, until you get a light-colored (off white) fluffy paste for frosting. For this purpose, use a hand-blender.
- Add to it vanilla extract and sugar. Beat again until you get the desired consistency.
- Keep the frosting creamy and thick.
- Slathered cream cheese frosting over the baked cake using a serrated knife. Ensure the cake has cooled down completely.
- Now mount one cake over the other. You can either go with two, three or more layers.
- Frost the top and sides of the cake well.
- You can use cheese cream swirls (piping technique) to decorate the cake.
- You can also spread crumbles of the cake on the top.
With this sweat-proof and foolproof red velvet cake modus operandi, you will be able to bake this velvety decadent in the blink of an eye. We know many will be more happy to order red velvet cake online. And, that’s purely optional and okay!
To prepare such types of cakes, learn about cake decorating tools as well