Recipe for Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Fruits have been added to regularly sugary sweet cakes for a long time now. The citrusy, fruity punch they add to a sweet cake is something which has made us all fall in love with it. One such fruit is pineapple. Pineapple is undoubtedly not just one of the most underrated cake flavours, but also an ingredient in a pineapple upside down cake. A soft buttery cake which has been topped up with some caramelized brown sugar pineapple & cherry topping is what the nation is crushing over, currently. There are no doubt different kinds and types of Pineapple Cakes in India, but this one is sure one of its kind.
Pineapple upside down cake doesn’t just look tempting but is even sufficient to tantalise your tastebuds. It is sure to become one of those pineapple cakes for birthday or anniversaries which tends to steal the entire show away from other major factors. One can always choose to order it online from some reputed bakery which would extend its online cake delivery service. But baking a cake out of love and some quality cake ingredients is sure to cast a magical spell over whomsoever wishes to try. Here’s a recipe for Pineapple Upside Down Cake for you, hopefully, you give it a try to bake it and impress everyone with your baking skills. Let’s take a look at the ingredients first and then start discussing how to bake a classic favourite choice of cake.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Yield: serves 8-10
Ingredients For Topping
● 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
● 1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
● 8–10 pineapple slices
● 15–20 maraschino cherries
Ingredients For Cake
● 1 and 1/2 cups cake flour
● 1 teaspoon baking powder
● 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
● 1/2 teaspoon salt
● 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
● 3/4 cup granulated sugar
● 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
● 1/3 cup sour cream, at room temperature
● 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
● 1/3 cup whole milk, at room temperature
Let’s Start Baking
● Start by preheating the oven to 350°F (177°C).
● Now let’s start preparing the topping first. Take 1/4 cup melted butter into an ungreased 9×2 inch pie dish or round cake pan.
● Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter. Now arrange 6-7 slices of pineapple and all the cherries on top of the brown sugar.
● Now place the pan inside the refrigerator for a few minutes as you prepare your cake batter. This will help the pineapple topping arrangement to set for a while.
● Now to make the cake batter, whisk cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. And set it aside.
● Take a mixer and beat butter on high speed until smooth and creamy. Add sugar and keep beating it until creamy. Then add eggs and keep on beating the mixture. Further add sour cream and vanilla extract.
● Now mix the dry and wet ingredients together and using the mixer combined both the batter well.
● Slowly pour milk and make sure to whisk it until there are no lumps in the batter. Make sure you don’t overmix the batter.
● Now, take the pineapple topping arrangement out of the refrigerator and pour the cake batter on top of it.
● Bake for about 43-48 minutes covering foil on top of the cake so that it can be prevented from getting over-browning.
● Once the cake is done, place it over a wire rack to let it cool down completely. You can choose to top off your cake with the leftover pineapple slices.
● Your cake is ready to be served!