Simple Homemade Wedding Cake Recipe
The ongoing pandemic situation and lockdown have urged people to hold intimate wedding ceremonies. Many of them are enjoying the new trend of small gatherings with only those who deeply love and care about the couple. Home wedding ceremonies also mean homemade wedding cakes.
The wedding cake cutting tradition is way older than many of us may know or believe. It marks the first activity done as a couple. Hence, weddings hold cake cutting ceremonies. If you want simple homemade wedding cakes recipes for the upcoming wedding at your home, you can write down this recipe in your recipe notebook. It’s a white wedding cake as that’s one of the classic and forever homemade wedding cakes ideas.
The recipe is about a two-tier cake. We are going to make a vanilla cake. But, you can change the flavour as per your taste. If you prefer chocolate cake, you can add to the recipe cocoa powder and make it chocolate or any other flavour. If you like it, you can try the recipe again for making first anniversary cakes for the couple.
It’s a complete recipe, from baking to assembling; everything will be explained in detail with few other important baking tricks.
Ingredients for the recipe:
9-inch bottom tier
• 3 cups and ⅔ cups all-purpose flour (spoon and leveled)
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp baking powder
• ¾ tsp baking soda
• 1 and ½ cups unsalted butter
• 2 cups sugar
• 3 large eggs and 2 egg whites
• 1 tbsp virgin vanilla extract
• ¾ cup milk
• ¾ cup sour cream
6-inch top tier
• 1 and ¾ cups all-purpose flour
• ¼ tsp salt
• ¾ tsp baking powder
• ¼ tsp baking soda
• ½ cup unsalted butter
• ½ cup sugar
• 1 large egg and 1 egg white
• 2 tsp vanilla extract
• ½ cup sour cream
• ½ milk
Frosting 9-inch cake
• 2 cups unsalted butter
• 8 cups confectioner sugar
• 6 tablespoons whole milk or heavy cream
• ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
• ⅛ teaspoon salt
Frosting 6-inch cake
• 1 cup unsalted butter
• 4-5 cup confectioner sugar
• ¼ cup milk or heavy cream
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Salt to taste
1. Make each cake separately. Firstly, bake the bottom tier. Prepare the cake pans 9*2 inch for the bottom and 6 *2 for the top tier—Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Keep aside.
3. Beat butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides and add eggs and vanilla extract. The mixture will look curdled. Add in sour cream, scrape the sides of the bowl and beat.
4. Slowly add the dry ingredients, occasionally stirring milk in between and beating at low speed.
5. Stop when you get the desired consistency. You can hand whisk the batter to make sure there are no lumps at the bottom. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake the cake. Test for doneness. Let it cool on the wire rack for some time.
6. Now, bake the 6-inch top tier cake in the same manner. Repeat all the steps in the same order again.
7. Using a serrated knife, slice off a thin layer from the top of the cakes for getting a flat surface. This process is called leavening.
8. Make the frosting: Take a bowl and mixer, beat butter until creamy. Add all the other remaining ingredients (milk, sugar, vanilla essence, salt) and beat at high speed. Add sugar if it is thin, milk if it is too thick, and salt if it is too sweet.
9. Similarly, make frosting for the 6-inch cake.
10. Assemblage: Place the cake on a turntable. Using the spatula, apply icing on the cake layers. Top it with another cake layer and put it on the frosting. Once the layering is done, crumb coat the cake and richly cover it with the frosting. Do it the same with the 6-inch cake.
11. Shift the cake to the cake board carefully. Decorate it as you like. You can add a wedding cake topper. If you know how to work with a piping bag, add some piping designs.
Your homemade wedding cake is ready!
• The cake is best enjoyed within three days. Cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it
• Similarly, you can try your hands at wedding anniversary cakes that will look no less appealing and tasty than wedding anniversary cakes online.
• And, if you wish to send anniversary photo cakes, you can browse online bakeries until we come up with a recipe for you.