30 Unique DIY Christmas Decorations Ideas
Christmas is around the corner, and surely the preparations for a joyous celebration have begun. Add a fun-filled pleasing touch to your Christmas decor by DIYing everything! So, get ready to deck up your walls, trees, windows, and entire home with some exotic decorations without going hard on your pocket.
Celebrate the day in an exuberant manner and refer to these 30 DIY Christmas decor ideas cited below!
DIY String Light Lanterns
Christmas is all about spreading joy and light everywhere, and of course, having lights and lanterns is a must to illuminate every nook and corner of the house. Traditionally, people would use a fireplace; nowadays, they do not have a fireplace at home, so what can you do in this case?
- Take out some transparent glass bottles, glass lanterns, and even large glass bowls; add string lights or fairy lights of your favourite colour, and see the magic!
Floating T-Light Candles
Intrigued? This decor idea is one of the most trending and perfect Christmas decor ideas. This idea is sure to catch everyone’s eye with its magical appearance.
- Get transparent glasses and fill them with crystal clear water beads or Orbeez. Put miniatures of Christmas ornaments in between, and fill the glass with water-based jelly balls.
- Add some water, and witness the miracle! Put a tealight candle on top and let it float.
DIY Mitten Christmas Tree
Do you have a plethora of used mittens which you do not use anymore? If your head nodded in affirmative, this is one of the best DIY Christmas tree decorations for you.
- Grab a bunch of same or different-coloured mittens and form a tree structure. (Ascending order from the top) Use thread or fabric glue to stick them together.
- Paste pom-pom balls and other decorative material of your choice to make it look more attractive; hand on any surface or wall.
Kitchen Christmas Tree
The kitchen is an essential part of our homes, and still, we forget to decorate it on many occasions. So, this Christmas, make your kitchen look exquisite with this fantastic DIY.
- Grab green-coloured ceramic plates in different sizes, or take paper plates.
- Arrange the plates in a tree structure; use double-sided tape to paste the plates.
DIY Bookshelf Decor
Christmas is incomplete without pleasing decoration, and no space should be left unadorned, including your bookshelf. So, let’s decorate it.
- Arrange the books (green-shaded ones) in a way that makes a tree; for instance, the upper shelf can have three to four books, the lower shelf can have four to five, and so on. Use ornaments to make it more alluring.
Christmas Decor is incomplete without a welcoming wreath, so make a DIY one using popsicles. It can be hung on the front door or any house wall.
- Use a round foam for the base and a convenient process.
- Paint about 50 big and small popsicle sticks in different shades of green, and paste them over the foam to make it more beautiful. Tie a crimson ribbon and hang it on a door.
DIY Snow Globe
If you cannot roam around in the snow, how about bringing it home? A snow globe will provide you with a realistic and alluring winter experience. A snow globe looks exquisite on a corner shelf, dining table, bedside table, and more!
- Take a used glass jar and stick Christmas decor items, such as miniature figurines of Santa, a Xmas tree, a penguin, or a snowman, using tape or glue. Also, paint the lid of your colour choice.
- Add water, a little glycerine, fake snow, and white or silver glitter. Place the jar in an upside-down way, and your snow globe is ready!
Christmas Orbeez or Coloured Lantern
Bring the festive vibes of Christmas at home with this adorable DIY idea to decorate the home. All you need is a string of lights, a jar, and some Christmas theme Orbeez or paint!
- Place the string light in the jar and keep the switch outside, then fill the jar with red and white Orbeez and some glitter (you can also add miniature Santa or tree along with the water beads or jellies)
- Add some glitter, pour some water for a clean look, and switch on the light for a magical view!
- If you want to avoid making an Orbeez jar, then paint the jars with a Christmas theme!
Little Candle Holder Jars
Your Christmas decoration will be incomplete without the beaming light illuminating every nook and corner of the house. So, incorporate this one of the easiest DIY Christmas decorations for an awestruck celebration.
- Take mini glass jars, and tie Christmas theme ribbons around the rim of the jars.
- Put little tea-light candles and witness the glorious light!
DIY Dining Table Decor
Let your guests feel the Christmasey vibes while dining! Opt for this cutesy idea for a merry yuletide. Bring some salt, transparent shakers, and miniature Santa or tree figurines.
- Fill half the shakers with salt, or you can also use fake snow. Put the tree or Santa inside the shakers, and place them in the centre of the dining table.
Advent Calendar for Countdown
Christmas is a joyous occasion and is the most awaited day of the year. You can make a DIY advent calendar and organise an appealing countdown for kids and adults!
- Make little envelopes and paste them on a wall or wooden surface; write the dates or make a countdown; for instance, if it is ten days to Christmas, then make ten envelopes.
- Fill the envelopes with little toys, treats, or message cards! You can also decorate the envelopes with tags, string, and washi tape.
Christmas decor will remain incomplete without red stockings, as it is generally believed that Santa leaves the gifts in these stockings.
- Get a colourful thread and hang red socks or stockings. You can also hang little pom poms along with the stockings! Hang the thread on windows, mantels, bannisters, or doors!
Wreath Like a Honeycomb
Add a complete DIY touch to your Christmas wreath with this idea. You can make a big wreath for the front door or small ones for hanging in many places.
- Take tissue paper rolls (the thick brown ones left after all the tissues are used), kitchen towel rolls, etc., and cut them into different sizes. Place them on a flat surface, and paste the sides in a wreath form.
- Spray-paint the DIY wreath with your favourite colour!
DIY Paper Gift Wrappers
Wear your crafting boots, and get ready with paper, scissors, and glue! Give thoughtful Christmas gifts to your loved ones in DIY gift wrappers.
- Take two sheets and cut them into different shapes, like stockings, stars, circles, etc., and glue the edges after keeping some gifts or candies in them!
DIY Photo Wreath
Make a stunning and unique wreath for your living room or bedroom wall, and let it mesmerise your loved ones.
- Take black and white or coloured pictures of you and your friends & family members, and paste them using hot glue and thread in a wreath structure!
Decorate the wall of your room with DIY snowflakes. You can also hang them on other places like banisters, doors, windows, ceilings, and more!
- Take a boatload of popsicles and paste them to make snowflakes! You can also spray-paint them red, white, golden, or green.
Wrapped Gifts Wreath
Opt for this fantastic DIY idea to help you with Christmas decor and let your guests pick the gifts!
- Take little boxes filled with gifts, candies, and toys and wrap them beautifully. Arrange them in a wreath structure, and paste them using double-sided tape!
Tree-fic Christmas Cards
You must have received a boatload of Christmas cards from your family and friends. So, why not use them in Christmas tree decorations?
- Arrange the cards in ascending order (from top to bottom), making a tree shape.
- Keep a galvanized bucket for keeping Christmas gifts for guests!
Opt for this perfect and one of the most accessible DIY Christmas decorations to decorate your dining table, kitchen shelf, living room shelf, etc.
- Take a mason jar, and put some cotton balls until it's half full. Place Xmas tree, Santa, Reindeer, etc. and tie a ribbon with a Merry Christmas tag on the rim!
Snowy Snowball Wreath
Wreaths are an integral part of Christmas decor and are used as a welcome gesture! You can make DIY wreaths using many things, including styrofoam balls. So, opt for one of the perfect Christmas decor ideas and get set go!
- Take the different sizes of styrofoam balls and stick them together in a wreath structure. Tie red or green ribbons for a more alluring look!
Bulb Xmas Tree Ornament
Don’t throw the used bulbs in the garbage when you can use them for DIY Christmas decorations.
- Take bulbs and paint them in Santa theme or Snowman theme. Use decorative material to adorn them further, and hang the bulbs on the Xmas tree.
Dangling Woolen Bulbs
Make a quirky and cutesy hanging garland to decorate the front door, window, mantel, fence, or any other surface using colourful wool.
- Take different coloured wool and make small bulb-shaped balls. You can also make pom poms.
- Sew them on a string of thread, making a garland, and you are good to go!
Green Paper Leafy Garland
Make a leafy garland for your Christmas decor and use it above the mantel, fence, or even artificial Xmas tree!
- Cut out various-sized leaf shapes from green and decorated paper and fold them half longways.
- Arrange the cutouts on a thread or floral wire, making a garland using hot glue!
Personalised Photo Ornaments
Undoubtedly, this is one of the most desired Christmas tree decorations people opt for. They decorate the Xmas tree with their family and add a personalised touch.
- Cut round cardboard in small sizes, paste your loved ones’ pictures on them, and hang them on the Xmas tree.
Adorned Yarn Xmas Tree
Opt for this one of the most straightforward Christmas decor ideas if you are in a hurry. Place these DIY trees on a living room, kitchen, bedside table or shelf.
- Take some green-shaded yarn and roll it, making a cone or tree shape. You can use colourful buttons to adorn the tree.
Gingerbread and Crackers Houses
Provide a jaw-dropping moment to your guests by pleasingly serving the most loved gingerbread and graham crackers.
- Cut the crackers, make tiny huts out of them, and use gingerbreads as little village people. Your dining table decor is ready!
Gingerbread Xmas Tree
Another dining table decor is here! Opt for gingerbread Xmas trees and add a flair of elegance to your serving style!
- Take gingerbread and form little trees; use icing or whipped cream to show snow, and add sprinkles for a colourful look!
Colourful Pom Pom Wreath
Add a splash of elegant colours to your Christmas decor with this cutesy idea. Take out a boatload of small and big pom poms!
- Cut round cardboard, and paste different-sized and coloured pom poms using hot glue. Hang on the front door or window!
Merry Christmas Hanging Banner
You cannot complete your DIY Christmas decorations without a Merry Christmas banner!
- Cut triangles of colourful paper or burlap. Spell out Merry Christmas on these triangles, and paste them on a string using hot glue!
Finally, put all your wine corks into use with this adorable Christmas decoration idea!
- Using hot glue, take a cardboard or foam wreath structure and paste the wine corks in a splendid pattern.
- Tie ribbons and hang the wreath on the door!
Flaunt your DIY and crafting skills this Christmas by making commendable decor items for your home!