Cakes V/s Pastries
For the lovers of desserts--cakes and pastries are no different. For them, these all are spongy, creamy, and flavoursome foods to lick, eat, and savour to the core. Though all these are sweet treats meant to satiate the sweet tooths, they differ from each other in terms of texture and flavour.
Knowing the difference will help you understand your cravings better. Do your taste buds want to taste a whole creamy cake or they are satisfied with a rectangular piece of pastry. And as a result, you can make a conscious decision whether you want to go for a cake delivery or with a cute box of pastries.
What is A Cake: A cake is a sweet edible food prepared by mixing flour, sugar, eggs, and other ingredients which is often decorated with icing. Cakes are usually eaten on birthdays and anniversaries.
What is A Pastry: A pastry is a sweet dessert baked mainly from wheat flour, water, and fat. Fat solids at room temperature are added to make it more appealing.
Point Of Differences Between Cakes And Pastries
1. Ingredients Used: Ingredients form the fundamental difference between these both.
- Cakes: For baking cake ingredients used are flour, eggs, milk, sugar, butter, vanilla essence, and other ingredients. And for making a cake taste and look appetizing, icing is done which is again prepared from a number of ingredients.
- Pastries: To bake a delicious pastry, all you need is flour, water, and butter. Another point of difference is the process of making. Cakes are a bit complicated to bake as compared to pastries. But, the hardships are worth it!
2. Shapes and Flavours: Shapes and flavours are other distinguishing points between cakes and pastries.
- Cakes: This dessert appear in different shapes, the most prevalent and popular being round, square, rectangular shapes.
- Pastries: However, pastry appears in a familiar triangle or rectangular shape. Talking about the flavours, both cakes and pastries are available in mouth-watering flavours. But, cakes seem to have an edge over the pastry in flavours.
3. Types Available: When talking about difference, one cannot forget to mention the type.
- Cakes: You will find numerous type of cakes such as cupcakes, jar cakes, vegan cakes, eggless cakes, designer cakes, and a lot more.
- Pastries: Talking about pastries, there are types like pies, eclairs, etc. But, In India, these types are not so common.
4. Consumption: The consumption of cakes and pastries depend upon their usage and cultural meanings.
- Cakes: Traditionally and till present, cakes have been used as an integral part of celebrations such as birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, and merrier events.
- Pastries: On the other hand, pastries are common dishes consumed by society to satiate their sweet cravings.
In the end, we conclude that cakes and pastries are very similar yet very different from each other.