Straight Out Of Grandma’s CookBook - Recipe of Light, Moist And Crumbly Fruit Cake
Do you remember those good, old days when Grandma’s homebaked fruit cake used to aromatise the entire room or the whole locality? Every neighbour used to get envious of the fact that something yummy is being made but still they are uninvited. It’s feel used to make evident of the fact that probably happiness is approaching, even after some bad, gloomy days. Yes, that what exactly the kind of magic, her recipe used to create and those cake recipes was something like her unprized possession, probably more dear to her heirs than her will, itself. Her fruit cake recipe is like a legacy that gets passed on from one generation to another and at times, gets lost in between, but still remains so close to our heart.
Let’s just face the reality, the taste of her fruit cake is, was and shall be unmatched to that of anyone else’s. There is no competition in any sense. Period! So, here we are presenting before you her secret to making her way through everyone’s heart with her special fresh fruit cake recipe. *Sshhh! Secrets are meant to be hidden!* So, let’s get started quickly preparing her version of fruit cake and let her know that she is and shall be the best in this domain! Hats off!
Following ingredients are the ones which need to be soaked in rum
- ¼ cup each of cashews, black and gold raisins
- ¼ cup of chopped candied orange peels
- 8 dry apricots
- 8 to 9 dates
- ¼ cup of tutti fruity
- 2 tablespoon of dried cherries
- 1 cup of rum or fresh orange or apple juice
Following ingredients are needed for the batter
- 1.5 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of oil or melted butter
- 1 cup of soy milk or nut milk or dairy milk
- 2 tablespoon of apple cider or regular vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Following ingredients are for the spice mix for the fruit cake
- 2 inch cinnamon
- 2 green cardamons
- 2 packets of all spice
- ⅛ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 cloves
Let’s Get Started!
1. Soaking The Dry Fruits
- Chop all the ingredients which needed to be soaked in rum. Take a bowl and pour rum in that bowl. Drop all the chopped dry fruits in that bowl and cover it up with a dish to let it soak.
- In between, open the dish and stir the ingredients so that it gets soaked properly.
2. Preparing The Fruit Cake
- Grind all the whole spices with the help of a grinder.
- Prepare a round pan by keeping it greased with oil. Or you can also line the pan with a butter paper.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees.
3. Making the Batter
- Start by sieving the flour, baking powder, and powdered spice mix.
- Add the rum soaked dry fruits along with the leftover rum.
- Add oil, sugar and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Take a bowl and add soy milk and apple cider and stir it gently.
- Add baking soda and stir. Further, add this frothy mixture to the baking mix.
- Stir all the batter uniformly.
4. Baking It With Love
- To even out the batter by spreading it over the pan.
- Pour it in the cake pan.
- Bake it in a preheated oven of 180 degrees for 50 to 70 minutes or till the time to bakes properly.
- Once done baking the fruit cake along with some fruit cake decoration at home, you can wrap it up in a cling film or store it in a container.
- To add a bit of uniqueness or individualism, you can add your own set of fruit cake decoration ideas to top up this delectable fruit cake.
Voila! You are done making your Grandma’s version of the smooth, moist and the yummiest fruit cake at home. In the name of her, rejoice while relishing this cake over a glass of wine or any other celebratory drink. In case, it didn’t turn out to be as good as you expected, no issues, your Grandma would be really happy that at least you tried. And this was just the first time, so with practice comes mastery. Meanwhile, you can absolutely try out various fruit cake online, if you happen to fall short of any ingredients or are in a hurry to relish it. You shall find this level of yumminess, from here!
Read and learn about professional cake making tools to decorate your cake.