Lemon Coconut Cake With Lemon Curd Filling
Gone are the days when everyone used to bake or order some tempting flavours of cakes like chocolate, vanilla or pineapple for various celebrations. Now people opt for something unusually pleasing not just to their tastebuds but also to their eyes. The options in terms of delicious cakes online in terms of both flavour and appeal. One such unique kind of cake which has been making its way in everyone’s heart is delicious lemon cake with lemon curd filling. With or without any special occasion around, people love to get their hands on this delish. A lemon coconut cake sandwiched with lemon curd filling is one of the best selling eggless cakes online, not just in India but worldwide. We know it’s quite odd to think of it, at first, to add a citrusy punch to a traditionally sweet cake.
But it tastes absolutely amazing when that citrusy punch is added with lemon and eggless lemon curd; it balances out the flavour of the entire cake. Don’t trust us? You should then definitely try baking this delight to know it for yourself. This is why we bring you an easy lemon coconut cake along with an eggless lemon curd recipe to leave your tastebuds tantalised to the core. The filling of lemon curd without eggs and with whipped coconut cream cheese frosting is heavenly! Without much ado, let’s start baking this treat!
Ingredients for the cake
1. 170g unsalted butter, softened
2. 400g sugar
3. 3 eggs
4. 342g cake flour
5. 8g baking powder
6. 3g baking soda
7. 3g salt
8. 296g buttermilk
9. 57g lemon juice
10. 54g vegetable oil
11. 10g Lemon Extract
12. 113g sweetened coconut (shredded)
13. Zest of two lemons
Ingredients for the Lemon Curd Filling
1. 150g sugar
2. 30g cornstarch
3. 236g water
4. 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
5. 18g butter
6. 1 Tablespoon grated lemon zest
7. 4 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Ingredients for the Coconut Whipped Cream Cheese Filling And Frosting
1. 423g total weight packages cream cheese, softened.
2. 230g powdered sugar, sift, then measure
3. 8g vanilla extract
4. 4g coconut extract
5. 696g heavy whipping cream
Let’s Start Baking!
1. Start by preheating the oven at 350 degrees. Meanwhile, grease and flour the 8×2 inch round pans baking pans.
2. Take a medium-sized mixing bowl and pour flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and zest in it. Whisk all these ingredients for about 30 seconds together. Set aside.
3. Now take a mixer attachment bowl and add the butter. Whisk the butter until smooth at medium speed. Now gradually add the sugar and mix both the ingredients on medium speed for 3 to 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
4. Now alternating the flour and buttermilk mixture, keep on adding the dry ingredients.
5. Do not overmix the cake batter. Just keep the mixer speed on medium.
6. Fold the shredded coconut and then equally divide this cake batter into the three already prepared baking pans.
7. Bake for 22-25 minutes at 350 degrees. Check the cake’s doneness by pricking a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, then your cake is done. If not, bake the cake for about 5-6 minutes more.
8. Once the cake layers are done, let it cool for about 10 minutes or so completely.
9. Now for the lemon curd filling, start by combining sugar, cornstarch and water in a saucepan on medium heat. The mixture becomes a bit thick and comes to a boil for about 3-4 minutes.
10. Remove the pan from the stove and pour about 1/2 cup of the hot mixture in a mixing bowl with egg yolks in it. Make sure to keep stirring this mixture.
11. Now again, go back to the pan and put it on medium heat. Make sure the curd is thickened, and the lemon has been coloured. Remove the pan from heat and stir some butter, lemon juice, and lemon zest in it. Let the lemon curd cool down at room temperature, then refrigerate it.
12. For the coconut whipped cream cheese frosting and filling, start by freezing your mixing bowl and beaters 15 minutes before starting to whip the cream.
13. Now beat some cream in the mixer attachment until light. Refrigerate once done so.
14. Take a bowl and pour cream cheese, powdered sugar and extracts in it. Whisk until smooth. Add the whipped cream into this mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
15. As far as assembling the cake is concerned, one can place the first cake layer over a turntable and smear it with a generous amount of lemon curd—the coating of whipped cream cheese over it.
16. Repeat these steps until all three layers of the cake have been done. Once the top layer of the cake has been placed, smear all the sides and top of the cake with this lemon curd and whipped cream cheese frosting.
17. Press coconut shavings all over the cake. And your lemon coconut cake with lemon curd filling will be ready!
Now that you know how to make a moist lemon coconut cake with lemon curd filling, why don’t you start baking this real treat? Being an amateur, you may end up messing up, but so what? Your baking imperfections is sure to make you an amazing pastry chef someday. So don’t give up! To cover up for your mess, you can always order this scrumptious cake from the best cake bakery in your town!