Traditional Farmhouse Fruit Cake Recipe
Who doesn’t love some crumbling, delicious fruit cake? A delicacy made with carefully selected dried fruits and nuts with spices creates a cake that is one of its own kind. Been around for ages, a farmhouse fruit cake is slightly different from your regular fruit cake. Traditional farmhouse fruitcake is made mostly with dry fruits and less candied fruits. This technique gives it a more nutty and naturally raw flavour which separates it from the rest of the cakes. The good news is that you can make this mouthwatering cake yourself, with a little help from us.
Here is an amazing traditional farmhouse fruit cake recipe, which will be our little secret.
Prep time - 40 mins
Baking time - 2 h, 15 mins
Ready in 2 h, 55 mins
Servings - 12 delicious servings
For your farmhouse fruit cake recipe, The ingredients you will be needing are:
• 5 large eggs, so that they can work as 6 eggs (PS- please use 5 eggs)
• 900-gram candied fruits such as apples, cranberries, blueberries, strawberries, etc to fulfil your berry-ciency
• Sugar, as per your need, but do not make it too sweet
• 200-gram red cherries or glace cherries
• 100-gram of chopped almonds
• 75-gram ground almonds
• 75-gram raisins
• 75-gram apricots
• 250-gram of self-rising flour
• 250-gram of dark brown sugar to give your cake that mysteriously inviting brown colour
• 250-gram softened butter to make your cake smooth.
• 1 lemon and 1 orange both zested and ready to use
And last but not least
• 100 ml brandy for soaking, this however is optional if you don’t want your cake soaked in spirit and hate fun, it’s up to you!
What to do:
• Wash the cherries under cold water thoroughly, after washing cut the cherries in half, and pat with tissue paper or a kitchen towel. Then coat the cherries with a thin layer of flour, to make them stay right where you want and not at the bottom of the cake, and keep them aside.
• Get all the fruits, raisins, chopped almonds, apricots in a bowl with lemon and orange. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C, butter up the sides of the tin you are using. It’s better if you take an 18cm to 20 cm tin for this particular cake.
• Take the bowl with all the fruits and nuts into it and add flour, sugar, butter, and eggs into the bowl, and beat it until it’s buttery smooth. Tip from us, think that the ingredients in the bowl are your bosses, will help you beat a lot better. Empty out the mix into the buttered tin and smooth out the top. You can decorate the cake with residual almonds and other nuts in any way you like.
• Bake the cake in the preheated oven for about 2 hours and 15 mins. To save your cake from overheating or over-browning, place a protective layer or a prepared cover over the cake after one hour. To check if the cake is done, take a toothpick and poke the cake with it and take it to its centre, if it comes out clean you are good to go. After taking it out, leave the cake to cool off for about 30 to forty minutes. Now sit back and enjoy the result of your hard work.
If you want to get the brandy flavour in the cake, soak all the fruits you are going to use, including cherries, in the brandy for 24 hours before you make the cake.
A traditional farmhouse fruit cake is so delicious that everyone deserves to taste this heavenly goodness at least once. If you can make it yourself, Awesome! But if you can’t, no worries, you can buy it. Any best cake shop around you would have it, or you can order this yummy fruit cake online. Order this cake for any occasion be it your anniversary, special occasion, or anything. In fact, this would make an excellent birthday cake. There are plenty of websites that take birthday cake order online. Don’t wait up and pick your option now!