World Teachers Day 2020: History and Theme
“The whole art of teaching is only the art of awakening the natural curiosity of young minds for the purpose of satisfying it afterwards." - Anatole France
World Teacher's Day Date
Also known as International Teachers' Day, World Teachers' Day on October 5th honours teachers and teacher organizations making vital contributions to the education and development of our future leaders. Every year since October 5, 1994, World Teachers Day is celebrated to honour the anniversary of the 1966 adoption of the ILO/UNESCO Recommendation concerning the Status of Teachers. To commemorate this day, UNESCO conducts a campaign every year to allow the world a better understanding of teachers and their impact on the development of students within society.
World Teachers Day: History
On October 5, 1966, UNESCO / ILO held an intergovernmental conference in Paris, France, to expand the status of teachers, and at the end of the conference, UNESCO and ILO representatives signed a recommendation for this conference. For the first time, this recommendation described teachers' rights, responsibilities and various aspects of the teaching profession worldwide.
On October 5 1994, UNESCO created the first World Teacher's Day to focus on teachers' participation and development, and to highlight teachers' issues and priorities regarding education. The date of October 5 was chosen to celebrate Teachers' Day internationally as it was the anniversary to adopt the 1966 ILO / UNESCO recommendation. In adopting this recommendation, governments realized the importance of qualified, competent and motivated teachers. The recommendation to include teaching and research personnel in higher education was adopted on November 11, 1997, during the 29th session of UNESCO.
So that was the background and history of the world teacher's day. Let's move to the theme of world teachers day 2020
World Teachers Day Theme 2020
Each year there is a different theme for World Teachers Day. Some of the most recent ones have included:
2016: Valuing Teachers, Improving their Status
2017: Empowering Teachers
2018: The right to education means the right to a qualified teacher
2019: Young Teachers: The Future of the Profession
In 2020, World Teachers' Day will celebrate teachers with the theme "Teachers: Leading in crisis, reimagining the future". The day provides an opportunity to celebrate the teaching profession worldwide, take stock of achievements, and draw attention to the voices of teachers.
Trade unions or other professional organizations that represent teachers play an important role in organizing World Teacher's Day in many countries, such as:
• The Australian Education Union.
• The Teachers Council (New Zealand).
• The National Union of Teachers (United Kingdom).
• The National Education Association (United States)
• The Canadian Teachers' Federation.
• The Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario (Canada)
• The National Association of Schoolmasters Union of Women Teachers (United Kingdom).
• The All India Secondary Teachers' Federation.
• The Japan Teachers' Union.
Fun Facts About World Teachers Day
While celebrating World Teachers Day this year, why not tell your class the following fun facts?
• Teachers are the third most trusted profession in the UK, after doctors and nurses.
• Teacher's day is a global overview. It is not a public holiday.
• UNESCO allocates a theme for this day every year.
• More than 100 countries celebrate World Teachers Day, and each country has its own celebration.
• The first World Teachers' Day was held on October 5 1994, concerning the status of teachers on the occasion of the anniversary of the 1966 ILO / UNESCO.
• According to UNESCO, a trained teacher is one who has the prescribed qualifications and is required to receive at least the minimum organized academic teacher training to teach at a related level in a country.
• World Teacher's Day is an opportunity to promote the teaching profession.
• The term 'teacher's pet' is believed to have been first written in 1890.
• On average, primary school teachers spend 782 hours teaching per year.
To observe World Teacher's Day, the best thing you can do is thank a teacher who made a positive impact on your life. If you know a teacher whom you wish to show gratitude, then order Teacher's day gifts online from any online gifting portal such as chocolates for teachers day, flowers for Teacher's day or personalized gifts etc. Happy World Teachers' day to all the gurus and teachers!